For some reason I'm super excited to write this bio blog, it might be because it's the last one in the course !! YEAHHH ! Anyways, for the very last blog entry the topic is biosolids. So what the hec are biosolids? Well biosolids are nutrient-rich organic materials obtained from wastewater treatment and is recycled and used beneficially, as for fertilizer. So basically your poop is used for agricultural fertilizer.Pretty interesting, I mean after that poop goes bye-bye down your toilet, most of us don't even think of where it goes, I mean it goes down the drain, but then where to? Depending on where you live, different countries decompose waste through different systems. In Toronto, all the wastewater from our drains, toilets, showers and other travel through a 9,000 kilometre underground pipe system which lead into one of four wastewater treatment plants. At these plants, the wastewater is cleaned and solids, chemicals and other material are removed before being released into Lake Ontario. In the first stages of wastewater treatment solids in the sewage are set to settle, which are then later removed to enclosed tanks called "digesters". The remaining harmless waste becomes biosolids. If necessary, it may sometimes be treated with lime to increase the pH level to help eliminate odours.

From the chart above, we see that 41% end up in landfill, 23% incineration at Highland Creek, 11% Land Application, 16% pelletization , 5% Alkaline Stabilization, and 4% Site Remediation. The real question here is why we aren't using our biosolids for better causes such as agricultural purposes?
I think that the potential stakeholders in this issue include the federal, provincial, territorial, municipal agencies, farmers, and locals. I believe that we all have a say on this issue, to state your personal opinion. Governments and agencies are the ones who place these issues into action, which also affect us, as consumers who buy products grown using biosolids.Here is a short video that discusses some of the pros and cons of biosolids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHxoz-J3GIc
Now biosolids have both pros and cons, below are a list of a few:
Pros
-reduces the need for chemical fertilizers
-recycling material -fertilize fields for raising crop
-improves soil structure by increasing the soil's ability to absorb and store moisture
-reduce farmer's production cost
-replenishes organic matter that has been depleted over time
-provides jobs -promote growth of forestry -establish vegetation in mine sites by regenerating the soil layer
Cons
- health issues such as pathogens
-decreases property value
-odour
Looking at the pros and cons of this issue, I would say that the pros surely outrule the cons. I personally believe that this can be a realistic alternative to our current agricultural practises. I think it is a greener way to the future, and it doesn't seem to be way too expensive. Farmer's can greatly rescue their production cost by using this process, I mean who wouldn't want to save a couple of bucks?! This process is a very environmental friendly process also, since we are recycling material, instead of filling up landfill sites. I think it's just that we are influenced by the western view of human waste as an unsanitary and disgusting nuisance that is stopping us. I think that we are so used to our luxurious lifestyle that such things become an issue to us. I remeber when I went to India, and they don't have the same access as we do to waste disposal, and it surprised me, because of how used to I am with just flushing it down the toilet or throwing it into the garbage. I never really cared or knew where all the waste ended up. However in India, there are no garbage men who come to pick up your garbage, which in a way I found unsanitary, but didn't seem to bother the people there. It is just a matter of getting past the idea that human waste is disgusting. I think that this process can be a very realistic alternative for us.
SOURCES
http://www.toronto.ca/water/biosolids/index.htm
http://www.mass.gov/dep/wastewater/faqs02.htm#created
OKAY! so, first of all...I'm just as excited as you are that this is our last bio blog! Anyways though, back to what I'm really suppose to be commenting!
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog since is consisted of great information, a useful diagram and a personal experience from yourself.
It amazes me that 41% of biosolids ends up in landfill sites- 10% away, and that's almost half. I completely agree with you when it comes do using biosolid fertilizers. I feel that it is a much more environmentally friendly and more natural way of going about the growth of agriculture. The fact that is saves money too also causes less of a problem for those employed in the farming commmunity!
When you had reflected upon your trip to India, it occurred to me how lucky we are to actually have people to clean up after our mess. Also, how we can just flush our toilets without even thinking. It made me realize how fortunate we are to be living where we live today.
I really liked your blog! Good job!
YAY, congrats on finishing your last bio blog! WHOOO!!
ReplyDeleteYou included so many forms of displaying your information...I love it! From graphs to videos, you've really gotten your point across.
Like you, my opinion on the advantages of biosolids outweighs the disadvantages...making it seem as if biosolids can really be a realistic alternative to our current agricultural practices. It's really amazing for mankind to be so innovative and find ways of turning waste from sewage treatment plants to treated and used as sustainable agricultural fertilizers. Furthermore, other than the rare occasion that potential health hazards and odours may emerge, shouldn't the state of our earth should be more focused on the irreversible effects of harmful and accumulating industrial waste? Anyways, thanks for creating such organized and informative blog-writing. Hope to read more form you in the future! <3 Pheebs.
hey Laya, i like your bio blog and lol congratz! in my opinion when i think of the advantages from biosolids then i like the idea of how eco -friendly and less expensive it is, but when i think of the disadvantage side i tend to get a bit nauseous. I don't really like the idea eating food fertilized from other people's and aniumal's waste. So i'm in between, i rather the scientist figure out a new and better method maybe something to add in to the biosolids to make it a healthier choice
ReplyDelete